Is there anything that was more comforting as a child than a good old-fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Or perhaps one of my favorite food combinations ever: peanut butter and banana? The unique smell, texture and taste of peanut butter make it a sensory explosion no matter how you eat it. There is a peanut butter plant where I live, and I have no shame in saying that I do slow down a little when driving in that area. The aroma is wonderful.
Today we celebrate National Peanut Butter Lovers day, which in my opinion, should be celebrated ever day. This protein-rich (7g per serving) spread is enjoyed by people all over the world in varieties as simple as ground peanuts to hazelnut chocolate infused peanut butter. Peanut paste was its original name, and sold for 6 cents per pound in 1890 and was given to people with bad teeth!
American’s eat three pounds of peanut butter per person per year! So you’re not alone when you think you’re sneaking a spoonful to enjoy on its own.
Here are some tasty recipes using peanut butter that will have you drooling in seconds:
- Low Fat Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins from Skinnytaste
- Crispy Peanut Butter Pretzel Chicken from Peanut Butter Lovers
- No Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chewies from Food Doodles
- Peanut Butter Cookie Date Bites from Back to Her Roots
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Fruit Dip from Prevention RD
Peanut butter: crunchy or creamy?